Join an International Community of Learners to Explore Innovative Global Business Models at SUNY Ulster’s COIL Summer Institute!
Collaborate Online: June 5 – July 3
Learn Face to Face: July 3 – July 14
What is COIL Summer Institute?
SUNY Ulster is offering students and community members the unique opportunity to study both online and on campus in their COIL International Summer Institute – a blended course on innovative global business models. The course entitled, Special Topics in Entrepreneurship – BUS 280 – will run online from June 5th to July 3rd and then on the Stone Ridge Campus from July 3rd to July 14th.
It can be taken for credit or noncredit, and is a blended course in which SUNY Ulster students study together with students from
- Amsterdam University of Applied Sciences
- Fatec Americana
- Universidad La Salle Noroeste ULSA
to explore the entrepreneurial mindset, skills, and techniques required for the development of new and disruptive business models for a global economy.
Study the growing clean energy, sustainability, and high tech industries of the Hudson Valley as well as those from The Netherlands, Mexico and Brazil. Learn about the importance of social entrepreneurship to all businesses in the 21st century.
Work Online: June 5 – July 3
Explore the intercultural competency, business terminology, and background discussions of the entrepreneurial mindset and disruptive business models of thriving and developing businesses such as Uber, Airbnb or MercyVirtual (a telemedicine firm). Learn about the cultural impact of these businesses and the technology that drives these businesses without borders.
Learn Face-to-Face: July 3 – 14
Students from the International colleges will be traveling to SUNY Ulster to join in face-to-face learning:
- Visit and shadow local Hudson Valley entrepreneurs to learn their stories, understand their entrepreneurial mindsets and business models.
- Participate in classes and group work focused on international marketing and cross cultural mindset.
- Take trips to local maker spaces, tech meet-ups and more.
- Collaborate in cross-cultural teams in a Biz Model Challenge to develop new business ideas/models.
- Hear speakers from local businesses:
- Integral Building & Design – Bringing new products, solar, and passive house designs to fruition for efficiency, health and safety
- Sustainable Hudson Valley – Holistic approach to sustainability from a community standpoint
- Evolve Media & HV Tech Meet Up – Community of tech professionals breaking down barriers for synergistic connections
- Hudson River Maritime Museum – Creating community-based business lines unusual for a museum for growth to 5 million dollar organization
- Fala Technologies – Tool & die company developing innovative partnerships for a manufacturing community that share clients
- Applestone Meat
For Local Students
The cost for this 3 credit course, Special Topics in Entrepreneurship is $794.50 for local students. It includes all tuition, fees, food during the class, a welcome lunch, a farewell dinner celebration, and a SUNY Ulster t-shirt.
For International Students: $2,850
Lodging is single occupancy, food, activities around the Hudson Valley, transportation including to and from the airport.
For more information:
Assistant Professor of Business
Director, Darlene L. Pfeiffer Center for Entrepreneurial Studies
Program Coordinator, Continuing & Professional Education
Contact Student Accounts at (845) 687-5099.